Upcoming Exhibition: Lindsay McDonagh at the Tobacco Factory


Escape the hustle and bustle of the first week back at work by taking a trip to the Tobacco Factory this Wednesday 7 January to take in the splendour of Lindsay McDonagh's delicate watercolour illustrations.
Drawn in Bristol member Lindsay McDonagh presents a collection of original paintings, centred around a selection of exquisite animal studies which are a pleasure to quietly marvel at.  Lindsay successfully captures the translucent quality of the paint and also the colour, texture and form of animals she depicts to remarkable effect.


We interviewed Lindsay back in August about her practice and her aspirations for the future.

'I've been working a lot with watercolours as I like the light translucent effect they give and I really enjoy the process of mixing all the colours together.  I do find it quite a tricky medium to work with as it doesn’t allow much room for error; you do have to work with watercolours quite quickly before they start to dry!'

'My dream project would be to develop a set of large scale watercolour paintings based on an adventure to Japan and China.  I love Japanese art and the woodblock prints, by artists such as Kamisaka Sekka and Hiroshige.  China holds a lot of mystery and intrigue for me, I would like to visit the Huangshan region of the country and see the mountain trees.  My overall dream is to keep exploring, taking pictures and doing lots of artwork!'

You can find the rest of the interview here, and more examples of Lindsay's work here.

Lindsay's new exhibition runs from Wednesday 7 January to Tuesday 24 February in The Snug at the Tobacco Factory on North Street in Southville.  Click here to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment